- The name was generally used in England until the early 19th century for the famous Marcus Tullius Cicero (Jan.3, 106 - Dec. 7, 43 BC). As Rome's most famous orator, lawyer, and statesman, he achieved the highest political distinction by serving as consul in 63 BC. His numerous essays, speeches, and letters have exerted an enormous influence upon subsequent ages from ancient times to the present.
- According to the chronicles of Medieval Times Vol III, on August 27th,1626, the scribe "Lutter" recorded that Christian of Denmark was defeated by Tully.
- The Tullys listed in the 1691 attainders are all of Co. Galway and the leading family whose arms are illustrated on Plate XXVII are of that county.
- In the Elizabethan Fiants, Dionysius Flood alias Donough O'Multilly. O'Multilly, spelt O'Moltolle was found , whilst in another case, is O Maoltuile in Irish. Records show that Shane Bane O'Moeltully received 13.50 acres in the Precinct of Castle Rahen in 1612.
- A noteworthy Tully was Father Fiacre Tully, O.F.M. who in the years 1625-1631 was extremely active in Rome in the Irish interest. Others of the Clan include the Floods of Co. Kilkenny and are said to be of English extraction. To this family belonged to notable politicians: Sir Frederick Flood (1741-1824) and Henry Flood (1732-1791), both prominent as Volunteers and opponents of the Union, and latter one of the outstanding personalities of eighteenth century Ireland. The distinguished Rev. Dr. Peter Flood (d. 1803), President of St. Patrick's College, Maynooth, on the other hand, give that measure some support. William Henry Grattan Flood (1867-1928), author of the History of Irish Music, was a noted composer of liturgical music.
- Some of the first settlers in the US of this name and some of its variants were: Edmund Flood who landed in Massachusetts in 1620; David Flood settled in Virginia in 1637; followed by Abraham Flood 1650; John in 1652; Arthur Floyd settled in Virginia in 1647; and others.
- This surname is found in all four provinces of Ireland but is presently most numerous in Connacht. The families who bear this name descend from ancient Irish families of physicians called Mac an Tuile or O' Maotuile whose home was in Co. Cavan on the border of Co. Longford where their one-time presence is commemorated in the name of the townland Tullystown in the barony of Fore, Co. Westmeath close to the Co. Longford and the Co Cavan borders. Tally is a recorded variant of Tully but the English surname Flood was assumed by some of the Tully's because the Irish translation of flood is tuile.
Prince Barclay de Tolly
- A famous Tully who was kin to the Scottish Barclay Clan went on to become a Russian Prince and later, Field Marshal. He lead Tsarist forces against Napoleon and defeated him in 1812. This is evident when one reviews the clan records of the Barclays where it is mentioned with pride that Prince Barclay du Tolly was a recognised clansman in 1800 and according to respected researchers in Inverness, we are assured that the original Tully's who settled in Scotland and support the clan in the days of King Edward are the forefathers of this Russian baron who was appointed as Prince Tolly for his service to the Tsar.
- The Aberdeenshire Barclays of Tolly held lands for over 600 years, and their descendant, Michael Andreas Barclay, was made Prince Barclay de Tolly for his part in the defeat of Napoleon.
- A castle of historical significance. Located north-west of Monea Castle in Co Fermanagh and Tullynally Castle in northern Westmeath are recorded in maps of the 1600 to Independence era.
- A.D. 1487. O'Reilly (Torlogh the son of Shane who was the son of Owen) died suddenly in his Castle of Tulach Mongain, and his son Shane was styled O'Reilly as his successor."
Tulach Mongain, now anglicised Tully Mongan stands over the Town of Cavan to the east. The castle has long since disappeared and the Danish fort or moat referred to by Mac Brady is much lessened (effaced) its mounds levelled, and carried away to fertilize the surrounding farms- I think, however, that the site of it should be marked on the Ordnance Map, and there is a tradition that a castle stood within the circle of the fort. It is now called the Gallow's Hill but was anciently called Castle Hill. Mr. Stotherd says that he has laid down the site of another castle in Cavan and also the site of the Monastery, upon the plan. Be sure he has marked the remains of the fort of Tully Mongain for if not he can mark it before he leaves Cavan. De asse mirabili in medio lapidis reporto!
Here it is to be observed that although Tulach Mongain is not called a castle in the passage at the year 1400, it is nevertheless more than probable that it was a castle, as being the residence of the head of the family. It is certain that other branches of the family had castles at this period, and it is not likely that the Prince of Breffny would entrust his safety to a common house while he knew the art of building a castle in which he could sleep fortified against the nocturnal attackers of Maguire, Mac Mahon and the rivals of his own family. We must therefore infer that Mac Brady or O'Gorman or whoever it was that has ascribed the erection of the Castle of Tully-Mongan to Torlogh, the son of Shane, must have been misinformed on the subject, or have drawn too hasty an inference from the annals of 1487.
From historical records dated Sunday, May 22, 1836 by Royal surveyors.
- Following the Revolutionary War, the upstate New York area was organized into Military Tracts. The surveyors were responsible for naming the areas and one of the assistant surveyors, being a classical scholar and professor at Kings College (Columbia), assigned names from Roman generals and statesmen and Greek men of letters. Tully is derived from the middle name of Marcus Tullius Cicero. The first white settler was David Owen, who build a log cabin in 1795, and the first Annual Town Meeting was held on April 4, 1803. By 1860 the population exceeded one thousand. The current population (1990 census) was 911 in the Village of Tully (0.6 sq. miles) and 2,378 in the Town of Tully, Onondaga County, NY (25.9 sq. miles).
- An area of central New York, about 20 miles south of Syracuse with small wetland where Hydrology and tree growth was investigated in 1984.
- The official fossil of the State of Illinois is .... the Tully Monster or as it is properly known, Tullimonstrum gregarium. Scientists all over the world cannot determine exactly what the Tully Monster was, other than it was probably a soft bodied carnivorous animal about twelve inches long when fully grown that lived a shallow, tropical sea that covered much of Illinois during the Pennsylvanian Period (about 300 million years ago). Discovered in 1958 when an amateur palaeontologist, Mr. Francis Tully, found a very interesting fossil in a very famous area known to geologists as the Mazon Creek Region. The specimen was taken to the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago where it defied identification and became known as "Mr. Tully's Monster" The name stuck. Nothing similar has been found anywhere else in the world.
- Along the Cassowary Coast about half way between Cardwell and Innisfail you will find Australia's "wettest township" of Tully. Apparently the Australian Army Battle School is located there.
- This river flows to the east coast of Australia. Also referred to as "The exhilarating Tully" with grade 4 rapids, this river is well known to tourists and river rafters.
Tully Gardens - Co. Kildare
- Normally gardens consult the genius of place in their design but at Tully the local countryside is excluded and the visitor enters an environment that exudes the mystical and botanical world of distant Japanese gardens. Located I mile east of Kildare and 25 miles south west of Dublin in Tully. NGR: N 735109.
Tully Lake - Ireland
- Located in In Co. Galway between Tully Cross, Renvyle & Tully mountain on the north west shore's.
Tully Lake - USA
- Located in Royalston, Massachusetts on the Tully River, 2.3 miles SW of Royalston. Coordinates: 42°38.3'N 72°13.7'W - Elevation: 641ft (195m). The lake offers great outdoors activities as the US Army corps of Engineers flood control dam. The 1,262-acre property provides camping, boating, picnicking, and hiking, while standing ready for the next flood.
Mt Tully Cottage
- This idyllic and luxurious fully self-contained 2 bedroom cottage is a perfect romantic retreat. Thirty seven acres of natural bushland and magnificent granite outcrops surround the cottage in the Granite Belt highland wine country of South East Queensland, Australia.
- There are numerous places called Tully in Ireland ; near Killagan Co Antrim, Kingstown Co Antrim, Kingstown Co Dublin, Kildare, Strokestown Co Roscommon, Letterfrack Co Galway and Tully Bay on the south of Lough Erne.
- This is a village near the town of Renvyle, Co. Galway which has a traditional country stone cottage atmosphere. It's quiet and secluded, on the slopes of Altnagaighera (1781ft) with a fine outlook over moorland to Ballynakill Harbour. The village has an impressive church at it's centre with at least 3 pubs in a high street of about 15 buildings. A healthy ratio I think.
- Located in San Jose, California.
- There is a street in the suburb of Turfontein in Johannesburg, South Africa which is named after the Tully family that settled on the Rand during the gold rush in the late 1880's+/-.
Tully and Irish Baronies
The Tully name is associated with 6 ancient Irish Baronies, in 3 separate counties namely Carlow, Cavan & Cork. The most significant is those of Co. Cavan.
- Barony of St. Mullin's (Upper) - Very early this area was referred to as Fearann Uí Néill, or the country of Farren O'Neale, lords of Tully. This may refer to the O Neill sept of Magh dá chonn in Leinster.
- Barony of Tullygarvey - Mac Gilduff is cited as a chief of Teallach Gairbheith (Tullygarvey). The O'Reilly clan held sway here and in much of the county. The MacTullys are given as chiefs in the parish of Drung.
- Barony of Tullyhunco - The Mac Tiernan's were chiefs in the barony of Tullyhunco. Their territory was known as Teallach Dunchadha
- Barony of Tullyhaw - The Mac Gauran (Mac Govern) were chiefs in the barony of Tullaghagh (Tullyhaw). Their territory was known as Teallach Eachdhach and they were chiefs there from the 12th to the 16th century. The homeland of the O'Droma (Drum) family is cited near here in the parish of Kinawley, a parish which extends into southern Co. Fermanagh.
- Early records of MacAtilla (Tully) are recorded in a heraldic study by Nora O'Shae, heraldic artist of Dublin Castle that show the location of Gaelic septs of principle Hiberno-Norman families in the period after Anglo-Norman invasions. This study locates MacAtilla (Gaelic sept) in Co. Cavan on the Co. Longford border in the present day Loch Gowna (Loch Gamhna) area. This forms part of the ancient Barony of Tullyhunco.
CCGS John P. Tully
- Barony of Duhallow - O Donnagain's (Donegan's) country was in the baronies of Orrery and Duhallow before the arrival of the Barry (Cambro-Norman) family. They were a once powerful sept of Muscraige Tri Maighe. The territory of the MacAuliffe sept, Glen Omra, was here. O'Nunan is cited as a chief of Tullaleis and Castlelissen in the parish of Tullylease. The O'Callaghan's were lords of Clonmeen near the river Blackwater.
- Barony of Kilmacrenan - The inaugaration site of the O'Donnell kings of Tyrconnell was at Carriag Dun. O'Breislein (O'Breslin) were chiefs of Fanad on the banks of Lough Swilly up to the 14th century before being diminished by the Mac Sweeneys (of Fanaid) . The O'Begley family was in the parish of Tulloghobegley, as was MacSweeny of Na d-Tuath. The O'Friel family were hereditary co-arbs of Kilmacrenan and inaugurated 'The O'Donnell' as the Lord of Tyrconnell. Other medieval septs include O'Kernaghan of Clondavaddog, McCoyle of Mevagh, O'Toner of Tullyfern, and O'Laherty (Laverty) who were lords of Aileach (Elagh). Clann Chinnfhaelaidh is noted in the far eastern portion of this barony.
- Oceanographic research ship John P. Tully of the Canadian Coast Guard.